Talbot County Department of Health
Can't find what you are looking for?
Call us at (410) 819-5600.

Mental Health, Drugs & Alcohol

Jump to:

Mental Health & Addictions Treatment

The Talbot County Health Department does not directly provide mental health or addictions treatment. However, we provide screening and referral to the many excellent community-based programs serving Talbot County. Call (410) 819-5600 or visit the Health Department offices.

Our addictions program does provide a number of recovery support services, which are detailed in the following section. 

Mid-Shore Behavioral Health maintains a database of behavioral health services – including mental health, addictions, and integrated behavioral health programs. 

Mid-Shore Behavioral Health Services Database

Community Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Treatment Providers:

If you operate a community-based behavioral health program that serves Talbot County that is not currently listed, please contact (410) 819-5600 to be added to the list.

Addictions Program

The mission of the Talbot County Addictions Program (TCAP) is to provide the finest quality, most caring, complete, and culturally responsive recovery support services to residents of Talbot County. We aspire to improve the quality of life for our clients and our community by reducing problems associated with addiction-related and co-occurring disorders.

The Talbot County Addictions Program provides the following grant-funded services to help adult individuals achieve their goals, and to restore hope and wellness within the community:

State Care Coordination (SCC) 

State Care Coordinators assist individuals as they transition into the recovery community by providing connections to community or faith-based services and other human service organizations.  Enrollment in State Care Coordination is a requirement for accessing Maryland Recovery Net (MDRN) Funding for Recovery Housing

For eligibility and enrollment, contact (410) 819-5602.

Peer Support

Peer Support Specialists are people who have been successful in the recovery process and are able to guide others who are experiencing similar situations through shared understanding, respect, and mutual empowerment. 

To get help from a Peer Support Specialist, contact (410) 819-5602.

Maryland Recovery Net (MDRN) Consumer Support Services 

Consumer Support Services are requests for assistance not otherwise funded under the public behavioral health system or other local charitable or human service organizations.  The purpose of these funds is to enable individuals residing in Talbot County to access or retain community-based behavioral health services and to support treatment and recovery goals. All applications will be reviewed and considered based on appropriate conditions and guidelines for funding.  Incomplete applications will be returned.

For applications and questions, contact Tara Lewis-Murray at (410) 952-3457.

Temporary Cash Assistance Addiction Specialist 

Provides screenings and referrals for individuals referred by the Department of Social Services case managers including Temporary Cash Assistance applicants/recipients and food supplement applicants and recipients convicted of a high-volume drug-related felony.  

Buprenorphine Initiative 

Buprenorphine Initiative funding promotes access to and the provision of buprenorphine in effectively treating opioid use disorder and supports individuals who do not have medical assistance (MA) in accessing outpatient treatment and the purchase of the medication.  The Talbot County Addictions Program monitors the application and reimbursement process for Buprenorphine medication purchases.

For enrollment or questions, contact Tanya Camper-Greene at (443) 239-3033.

Services for Pregnant Women and Women with Children

Provides screenings and referrals to residential treatment for pregnant women and women with children.  By appointment only, and up to two children between the ages of 0 to 10 years old may accompany the parent.

For scheduling information or general questions, contact Tanya Camper-Greene at (443) 239-3033.

Services for Criminal Justice/Forensic: 

Provides support for participants in the Circuit Problem-Solving Court Program. The goal is to provide a therapeutic response to substance use rather than a punitive response.

Provides support to individuals within the local Detention Center who are enrolled with or may benefit from Jail Substance Abuse Programming (JSAP), Wellness and Recovery Planning, Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder, Peer Support, and Care Coordination/Re-entry Planning.  

Local Overdose Fatality Review Team 

Talbot County’s Local Overdose Fatality Review Team conducts confidential reviews of fatal and non-fatal overdose incidents to identify system gaps, and prevention and intervention strategies needed to prevent future overdose deaths.  

For more information, contact Coordinator Jessica Carter at (410) 819-4710.

Peer Support

Peer Support Specialists are people who have been successful in the recovery process and are able to guide others who are experiencing similar situations through shared understanding, respect, and mutual empowerment. 

Our TCAP Peer Recovery Support Specialists develop supportive relationships, provide recovery coaching and engage members of the recovering community through outreach.  Further support may be provided including connection to resources, such as:

  • In patient or outpatient facilities
  • Mental health services
  • Food pantries
  • Shelters
  • Transportation
  • Fitness/Wellness facilities
  • Community based meetings
  • Resources for jobs

To contact our Peer Support Specialists, call (410) 819-5602.

Certified Peer Recovery Specialists (CPRS)

A Certified Peer Recovery Specialist is an individual who uses lived experience in recovery to help others in their recovery journey. CPRSs receive formal training to both facilitate support groups and work one-on-one with individuals who are either seeking or maintaining recovery from serious mental health issues, substance use disorders, or co-occurring behavioral health concerns.

The credentialing process for those interested in becoming a CPRS is managed by the Maryland Addiction and Behavioral Health Professionals Certification Board (MABPCB). Information specific to supervision, work or volunteer experience, education and training requirements, and ethical standards of practice can be found on the MABPCB website.

Additional Peer Support Resources

Maryland Coalition of Families (MCF)

(410) 730-8267

A state-wide nonprofit dedicated to connecting, supporting and empowering families who are experiencing behavioral health challenges. MCF provides free support, information, and resources to Maryland families and caregivers who have loved ones with mental health, substance use, and gambling issues.

Chesapeake Voyagers, Inc. (CVI)

607 Dutchman’s Lane, Easton, MD

(410) 822-1601 or toll free 877-817-8951

CVI provides peer support, information and resources, support groups such as Emotions Anonymous, ACOA (Adult Children of Alcoholics), trauma resiliency, mindfulness, as well as social activities, safe wellness space, and special events.

Grace Street Recovery

8262 Ocean Gateway, Easton, MD

(410) 690-7353

Grace Street is a recovery community organization dedicated to saving lives and fostering healing for anyone affected by substance use disorder. Grace Street offers free resources, peer support, wellness and support groups, harm reduction services, and more.

Crisis Services

National Suicide Prevention & Crisis Lifeline

The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones. You don’t have to be suicidal to use or benefit from the 988 Lifeline. It offers 24/7 call, text and chat access to counselors who can help people experiencing any kind of emotional distress, including those experiencing emotional difficulty or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in response to a specific incident or ongoing issue.

There are three fast and easy ways to access 988 Lifeline services:

  • Call 988 from any phone or cell phone (services available in English & Spanish, additional languages supported through Language Line solutions)
  • Text 988 from your cell phone (English only)
  • Chat through the Lifeline website at www.988lifeline.org/chat (English only)

Other Crisis Services & Hotlines 

When a strong network of support services is available, many people can remain in their community. The information on this page is a list of emergency mental health and community support services for those struggling and their families. 

In case of an immediate threat or danger, call 911.  For medical emergencies, call 911 or head to the nearest emergency room.

Veterans Crisis Line
1-800-273-8255, press 1

Eastern Shore Crisis Response, operated by Affiliated Sante Group

Rape Crisis Center, operated by For All Seasons

Mid-Shore Domestic Violence Crisis Line, Operated by Mid-Shore Council on Family Violence

Recovery Housing & Transition Planning

Recovery Residences

A “recovery residence” means a service that provides alcohol-free and illicit drug-free housing to individuals with substance-related disorders or addictive disorders or co-occurring mental health and substance-related disorders or addictive disorders. Many people in recovery find it helpful to live in this type of housing as they transition from residential treatment or incarceration. 

Maryland Recovery Net (MDRN) Funding

Maryland Recovery Net (MDRN) works to provide time-limited access to certified recovery residences for individuals in early recovery who have been diagnosed with a substance-use disorder (SUD) or co-occurring mental health and SUD.

Participants must request to be enrolled into State Care Coordination (SCC) in order to access MDRN services. SCC is designed for individuals who are transitioning from a substance use disorder residential treatment program, incarceration, or homelessness to community-based care, or who have otherwise been determined eligible for Maryland Recovery Net (MDRN) services.  SCC and MDRN services both aim to improve recovery outcomes for individuals identified as at high risk for relapse by connecting them to needed community services and resources.

The Talbot County Health Department’s Addictions Program serves as the SCC for Talbot County.

SCC/MDRN participants must:

  1. Be 18 years of age or older;
  2. Be a Maryland resident while receiving services;
  3. Have a diagnosed SUD or co-occurring SUD and mental health disorder;
  4. Be actively engaged in SUD-related treatment services for the full duration of MDRN services; 
  5. Have an income at or below 250% of the Federal Poverty Level;
  6. Provide emergency and collateral contact information to include address, telephone number, and email address, if applicable, to facilitate biweekly service encounters; and
  7. Agree to sign a consent for release of information to facilitate coordination of care efforts. No confidential information shall be provided to any entity unless expressly authorized by the individual.  The individual may revoke consent at any time.

For eligibility and enrollment in State Care Coordination in Talbot County, contact (410) 819-5602. 

Information for Recovery Residence Operators 

National Alliance for Recovery Residences Standards

The National Alliance for Recovery Residences (NARR) established and maintains the standards for recovery residences in the United States. The standards, which were developed with input from major recovery housing organizations regionally and nationwide, define four different levels of support, administrative operations, and residential environments required for all recovery residences. NARR does not certify recovery residences – the Maryland Department of Health (MDH), Behavioral Health Administration (BHA) is the credentialing entity for recovery residences in Maryland through the Maryland Certification of Recovery Residences (MCORR).

Maryland Certification of Recovery Residences (MCORR)

Certification is required for any Recovery Residence that:

  • Receives State funds;
  • Operates as a certified recovery residence; and
  • Is advertised, represented or implied by any individual, partnership, corporation, or other entity as being a certified recovery residence.